How Clean Eating Can Take Your Skincare to the Next Level

How Clean Eating Can Take Your Skincare to the Next Level

As overused as the cliché may be, it still stands: you are what you eat. We’ve all been in the situation where we overindulge in greasy, sugary, and over-processed foods and wake up the next morning with a less-than-stellar complexion. It’s never a fun experience, but it’s a good reminder that what we choose to put in our bodies can ultimately have an effect on our appearance. One part of creating a healthy skincare routine (and a healthy lifestyle in general) is clean eating. 

Simply put, clean eating is when you incorporate as many whole, natural foods into your diet - while minimizing the amount of processed, artificial foods you put on your plate. Paired with the right skincare routine for your skin type, clean eating can be a powerful way to transform your skin for the better. 

To help get you started, we’ll go over some of our top tips for creating a clean eating inspired, skincare diet!

Make the swap to natural sugars

For many people with a stubborn sweet tooth (myself included), one of the hardest things to let go of when making the switch to clean eating is processed, sugary foods and sweets. Sugar is addictive, which of course makes it hard to avoid, but the skin benefits are clear: lowering the amount of sugar you eat can reduce acne and even help prevent wrinkles

When making the switch to a clear skin diet, don’t feel like you have to give up all sugar completely though. When you’re feeling a craving coming on, swap out sugary snacks for whole foods with natural sugars, like fruits and honey. It’s important to remember though, that restrictive diets almost never work - so don’t feel guilty for indulging in one of your favorite treats from time to time! When it comes to clean eating, try aiming for the 80/20 rule, where 80% of the time you eat in accordance with your skincare diet, and the other 20% you allow yourself less healthy foods. 

Look for vibrant colors

When it comes to creating a clear skin diet to follow, a good rule of thumb is to incorporate as many colorful whole foods as possible. Dark red, orange, and green fruits and vegetables are clean eating staples, and for good reason. Colorful foods like these are rich in beta-carotene, a compound rich in antioxidants that aid in skin cell turnover and protect against sun damage. 

Some of our favorite colorful foods to incorporate into a skincare diet are sweet potatoes, red and green bell peppers, spinach, and squash, but there are so many more to experiment with! Clean eating is all about getting creative, so challenge yourself to try something new each week! 

Fill your plate with healthy fats

Contrary to popular belief, fats are actually healthy for you! Foods high in healthy fats, like avocados and nuts, are an important part of clean eating, and should be included in your clear skin diet. Additionally, cold-water fish like salmon, sardines, and tuna are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are crucial to reducing inflammation and breakouts. 

Try to incorporate healthy fats and proteins into each meal, along with plenty of fruits and veggies to create a well-rounded skincare diet. 

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate

No skincare diet would be complete without the most important thing of all - water. Staying properly hydrated throughout the day is key to not only reaping the maximum benefits of clean eating; it’s key to getting healthier skin, too. For the average woman, that means drinking around 11-12 cups of water daily.

If you find yourself getting bored with plain water, try swapping in some anti-inflammatory green tea for extra skin benefits! 


Clean eating isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution to great skin, but when combined with a targeted skincare routine, it has the potential to transform your skin like never before.

For more skincare and wellness tips, check out the D’Isolana blog!